About Beatrice Whitten
Bea Whitten has been doing Social Security disability work for over 20 years. She actually handled her first case at a training program in law school. Since that time, she has spent most of her time concentrating on disability cases, aided by an awesomely competent staff who spend a lot of time making her look good.
Ms. Whitten says that it is a privilege to have a job that involves helping people every day. “My clients often hug me after we finish their hearings. They tell me their lawyer is the best. That is the greatest feeling in the world.”
She has been a sustaining member of the National Organization of Social Security Claimant’s Representatives (NOSSCR) for many years, and has attended several of their training sessions. She conducts Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminars for other lawyers, the most recent being a presentation on “Disability and Child Support” to state Family Court judges.
- Treasurer and Board Member, Charleston Charter School for Math and Science, 2009-2011
- Vice-President, PTA, Mt. Pleasant Academy, 2005
- Member, South Carolina Bar Probate Code Revision Committee
- Former Member, Probate Liaison Committee, Charleston County
- South Carolina Bar Pro Bono Service Award, 2000
- Former Girl Scout leader
- Adjunct Faculty, Trident Technical College, Paralegal Program, 1994-2005
- Member of Summerville Community Orchestra
BEATRICE E. WHITTEN
Attorney at Law and Mediator
1110-A Queensborough Blvd.
Mount Pleasant, S.C. 29464
University of South Carolina School of Law
Juris Doctorate, May 1990
Baptist College at Charleston
(now Charleston Southern University)
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, June 1987
Magna Cum Laude
- December 1993 to present / Solo practitioner and certified mediator – with emphasis on probate law and Social Security disability.
- January 1994 to 2005 /
Adjunct faculty member – Trident Technical College – Wills and Estates for paralegals.
- June 1991 to November 1993 / Partner, Lucey & Whitten law firm – emphasis on civil litigation, research, probate law, family law and Social Security disability.
- August 1990 to May 1991 / Associate, The Greene Law Firm – handled personal injury lawsuits, family law, small business, contracts and leases, will drafting, appellate practice.
- August 1989 to May 1990 /
Legal writing instructor, USC School of Law – taught first-year law students the principles of research and writing, Lexis and Westlaw, oral argument.
- South Carolina Bar Pro Bono Service Award – 2000.
- Speaker for numerous public interest programs on wills, powers of attorney and advance directives.
- Instructor for paralegal certification programs, on request of Legal Assistants Association.
- Instructor for NBI continuing legal education programs.
- Certified mediator for Equal Employment Opportunity Commission complaints, for U.S. Postal Service, since 1998.
- Certified South Carolina civil mediator since 1994.